Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

hurry! hide your success

Since I moved out and got my degree and got married and began earning a decent living....I've had to hide my success. For example, if John and I treat ourselves to something like a new DVD player, when she comes over, we hide it. Not because we have to but because if we don't, this is what we get, "Must be nice."

I don't like to be made to feel ashamed about the successes that I've earned in my life. So, I hide them.

John and I have done this since we moved out together to avoid making her feel bad for not being able to have the same things. I've always been a little bitter about the subject because she chooses to use her money in certain ways and we choose others. Our choices have allowed us to enjoy life a bit more, spoil ourselves from time to time. I shouldn't be made to feel bad about that. I've also been confused by her reaction. Aren't parents supposed to want their kids to be successful? I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment