Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Disposable.

When I was around 15, she brought home a dog. It was a small, well-mannered, sweet dog that her friend gave her because she was moving away and the dog couldn't go along. The poor dog missed his family, you could tell. I sat by him for hours just petting him to try and make him feel at home. He warmed up to me quickly. He never messed in the house because he was potty trained.

After a few days, she changed her mind and decided she didn't want him anymore. The friend had already moved away. So one Saturday afternoon she loaded everyone up in the car along with the dog. She wouldn't answer our questions about where we were going and what we were doing. I knew though. And I begged and pleaded and became hysterically upset about her plans. They were not good plans.

She dumped him. In the middle of a neighborhood faaaar from ours. And sped away as he chased our car. He was a small dog. God, I still get teary eyed. It was cruel and unneccessary. There are places to bring unwanted animals. There are ads to put in the paper for a free dog. She didn't even try. She just tossed him out like a piece of garbage. It makes me sick and its unforgivable.

I'm sure he didn't survive long out there. No food. No water. He was small. All I could do was scream and yell and cry about how awful this treatment was. He didn't deserve this. She didn't care.

She's always had problems with pets. Even now. She gets it in her head how wonderful it would be to have a cat or dog as a companion. Goes and gets one and then gives up on it a week later. She has had a cat for 3 years, which is very unusual. Yet, she'll randomly start thinking he needs a friend. He's not safe though. He could get the boot at any time. She had a cat for 2 years once, then the cat got hurt and she didn't want to pay so she gave her away. Just like that. She and my brother had a dog. They kept her in a small cage most of the time. It broke my heart. They got tired of her and gave her away. More recently she had a small dog for a couple of weeks. Kept him in his cage most of the time. Became upset that he wasn't getting good at potty training. Gave up on him and gave him away.

We are different. My animals are part of my family. I made a promise to them when I got them, to protect them, care for them and give them a good life. Sure they make me upset at times, the vet bills can be horrendous but I wouldn't just give up on them. We are their family. We chose them.

Pets are not disposable.

No comments:

Post a Comment