Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

College Orientation

I started college right after highschool. So, about a month after graduating from highschool I had freshman orientation at the university. Of course, I had already moved out and had been doing things on my own and making my own way for a couple of months already. Still, I found myself lonely and feeling jealous when I showed up at orientation to find students and their parents in attendance. It's just not something she did. She had work and other obligations I understand. Yet, it would have been nice to have that support there. It was scary being a new kid in a HUGE university.

After I let that feeling fall away, I try and be more appreciative that I was forced to do things on my own. Even when others had their families with them. I wasn't cottled or sheltered. I think I can attribute this to my survival. I've never asked for money or other help in any way. I've always handled the tough things on my own. Or had the support of John. I should be more appreciative of the things I've experienced on my own.

I went to college for the standard 4 years and not once did she come to see my life. To see the things I encountered and how far I'd made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment