Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Wedding Crasher

A girl dreams about her wedding. How perfect it will be. Everything in it's place, people smiling and laughing, celebrating the couple's love. I had that dream, too.

She began throwing her temper tantrum early the day of the event. I got my makeup done by myself and my hair done by myself. I got ready at the church with the help of my friends. She sat in the common area with an angry face and arms crossed. The day wasn't about her, so of course this behavior was to be expected. In the middle of my getting ready, I think I should go see if we can make this better so that we can enjoy this experience. I sit down and ask what's wrong only to get a slew of rude comments and angry words. I ask her to put this aside until a later time because this was my wedding day, after all. This isn't fair. She clams up and ignores me. I walk away to finish getting ready.

A dark cloud attempts to cast it's shadow over me. Tears well up behind my eyes. Anger burns its fire in my stomach. I decide to choke it all back, push it down, ignore it. This is my wedding day. If I let her get to me, let her ruin this, let her have control of my feelings, I will regret forever. That's what I did. I ignored her. It was her choice to behave so badly. I was marrying the best man there ever was and I was going to focus on him, on our love, on this joyous day. She wasn't going to rob of this.

The wedding went on and I was happy. Truly happy. I didn't give one thought to her and her feelings. I didn't have guilt or concern for her. It was great.

Then. Then she made it public.

At the reception she drank too much. Grabbed the microphone and gave a speech. Saying some nice things but also adding in some bitterness and complaints through slurred speech. It was tough to get through. She thought it was funny. Thought it was funny to be drunk in front of my friends and family and my new husband's family.

She made her mark.

I can't get that day back.

No comments:

Post a Comment